Titles: Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)
Genre: Fantasy, UF, & Paranormal Romance
First Published: April 2007
Where I Got It: Borrowed from library
Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren’t for magic…
One moment magic dominates, and cars stall and guns fail. The next, technology takes over and the defensive spells no longer protect your house from monsters. Here skyscrapers topple under onslaught of magic; werebears and werehyenas prowl through the ruined streets; and the Masters of the Dead, necromancers driven by their thirst of knowledge and wealth, pilot blood-crazed vampires with their minds.
In this world lives Kate Daniels. Kate likes her sword a little too much and has a hard time controlling her mouth. The magic in her blood makes her a target, and she spent most of her life hiding in plain sight.
But when Kate’s guardian is murdered, she must choose to do nothing and remain safe or to pursue his preternatural killer. Hiding is easy, but the right choice is rarely easy…
I have been eyeing this book for a while, but there have been so many mixed reviews. However, thanks to Blodeuedd and Melliane, I finally decided to give this a shot.
And now…I have mixed feelings on this one. For this review, I shall divide and conquer (I know! It’s been a while since I have done this format)
- I liked Kate and her powers; it certainly made her unique
- The world building was okay, I was intrigued to learn more.
- There is a romance, but it didn’t take over the story and I approved. Sorry, but love needs to wait a hair, because there lots of shit happening that Kate needs to deal with.
- The action parts were pretty good.
The Bad and the Ugly
- Honestly, I was confused the first few chapters. I felt like I was dropped in this world and I had NO idea what was going on. I had to learn as I went. Normally, it doesn’t bug me TOO much, but I felt it was needed to have a hair more information at the beginning.
- Lack of transitions and jumps in times that confused me.
- Lack of true feelings for the character. YES, I did like Kate, but that was it. I was more interested in the world itself.
- I just felt like there was something missing….I wanted more out of the characters and story-line.
ConclusionOverall, I wanted more out of this. I liked the world, but sometimes that isn’t enough. Maybe I’ll read the next book and I’ll care more about the characters, but we shall see. I wouldn’t mind checking out another book by the author, but I may check out something NOT from this series and see how I feel. In the end, I shall stamp this with 2 stars.
Book 1 is not as good as the rest, the author even says so, so hang in there
I agree with you about the first one, it's a bit confused because of the world and the lack of details, I had this problem as well but don't worry it will get better with the books if you try them.
Wellll.....I may try the second one since you all insist. LOL
Post a Comment